Monday, August 17, 2009

About Air Travel


I've decided that even as a "little person" (5'4" and "average size"), I don't like Canadair CL65's, lol. They are like being in a city bus in the air (and seat less than 50 - like sardines). A little noisy, not much legroom (and so the gentleman's knees in my back the whole way from Philly to Ottawa on the trip home from HOOT), and by the luck-of-the-draw, the second time I've been in one and the gosh darn seat won't recline even a degree! The only bonus that I could see besides the pleasant crew?... the aisle armrest can be lifted to make getting in and out much easier.

The first leg of my trip to HOOT was begun in a CL65 and the thoughts that rolled thru my mind were not good, lol. Motion sickness. Yup. I'm not the best of travellers in a car and suffer mildly from motion/car sickness. But I was in the air and the thought of having to use that little bag in the seat pocket was not making me warm and fuzzy to my future plans for air travel. Touching down in Philly was very much welcome.

The Philly airport is HUGE. Thank goodness for shuttles and directions and nice people. There was not much chance of getting lost as I had almost 3 hours between flights so I just wanted to wander, people-watch and take it all in. And oh, ya, settle my tummy. Was not going to obsess about the next flight and my queasiness. Not going to go there, lol. These are only short hops afterall. A little over an hour from Ottawa to Philly (Philadelphia) and then an hour to Columbus, Ohio. I can do it .

The EMB170 to Ohio from Philly was a welcome relief. Still a small commuter/regional plane by airport standards, but more legroom, a little more sound-proof, seats about 70 and... much smoother in the air and along with the lower noise transfer (apart from passengers who, although using earbuds have to have their music so freakin' loud all you hear is "noise". Geesh)... was a much easier ride for me. Didn't have a lick of queasiness. Whew.

Touchdown in Ohio and time to find baggage claim and a taxi. Yippee, bag is there. I had not relished the thought of my checked bag not showing up at my destination. The way home, okay, but to start the week and hear all these horror stories... A good start, lol. Okay... so I was paranoid. So shoot me.

Find the taxi stand and happen upon a lady walking aimlessly thru the shuttle/taxi area. Ask her where she might be going (yes, I talk to strangers, lol) and find out it's also the Hyatt Regency, but for an Adoption Conference being held there, not the Painting Convention. Carolyn and I share the cab and a brief conversation. Money saved, $10.00 - $15.00 (cab ride is just under $24 plus an airport surcharge of $3.00). Good start to the week.

The way home was uneventful. I made all my connections no problem. Poor Willow couldn't make her Chicago flight for a hop to Winnipeg so luckily was able to transfer to another airline to be able to get home that night (Aug 16). What a nightmare for a single mom who's had a long working week and just wants to get home to her little girl. Happy ending. The only touchy part for me was finding my way to Terminal A from Terminal C in Philly to find the Duty-Free. Didn't I already say this airport is HUGE ? A bottle for a friend but no ciggies for my mom . Then back again to Terminal F all within a short hour to make my connection.

Touchdown in Ottawa was a welcome relief. Even the knees in my back couldn't douse my excitement of being home, lol. A long, tiring week, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

~ Shelley

1 comment:

  1. What a trip? But worth it I am sure. I didn't get to go to HOOT this year but I did go to the Artist Expo in Houston. Lots of fun but not nearly as big as the one in Columbus. Hope you were able to take all the classes you wanted and perhaps post what you painted. Would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete